I used to love eating BLT sandwiches (bacon, lettuce, and tomato), but since I changed my diet I’ve been trying to replicate this sandwich. This recipe made me re-think the whole BLT sandwich and instead make it into salad form (mind = blown!). I have to say that this is my favorite salad. It’s very light, tangy and also good for you. This salad is perfect for any season, but best in the summer where tomatoes are in their prime. Enjoy!
*Also found in the Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don’t Have to Be Vegan to Love cookbook by Terry Hope Romero*
Total Time: 30 mins
- 8oz. Store bought tempeh bacon
- 1 pound curly kale
- 1 red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 pint red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Slice tempeh bacon into bite-size pieces and cook as directed until browned on both sides.
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems, tear or chop into bite-size pieces. Wash and spin the kale dry, then transfer the kale to a large mixing bowl. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour half the dressing over the kale and massage the kale for a minute.
- Add the tempeh bacon, red onion, tomato, avocado, and remaining dressing to the kale. Use tongs to combine and coat everything with dressing. Serve immediately.